Associate Professor (tenured) at Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas da Universidade NOVA de Lisboa
Researcher at Centre de Linguística da Universidade NOVA de Lisboa - CLUNL
Associate Researcher at Equipe Condillac - LISTIC - University of Savoy
Rute Costa is an Associate Professor (tenured) at the Universidade NOVA de Lisboa . She is an Invited Professor at the University of Luxemburg and at the Agostinho Neto University (Angola).
In 2001, she was awarded a PhD in Terminology from Universidade NOVA de Lisboa. In 1989, she studied at the University of Paris III: Sorbonne Nouvelle for one semester and in 1993 she had a training period at the Centre ATO – CI (Centre for Research in Cognition and Information) at the University of Quebec, Montreal.
At the UNL, she is scientific coordinator of the Master’s Programme in Terminology and Management of Information for Special Purposes and of the PhD Programme in Translation and Terminology. She is responsible for the Terminology seminars in the PhD Programme in Linguistics (Knowledge, Representation and Use).
She is a researcher CLUNL, and she is associate researcher at the Condillac Team of the Computer Science, Systems, Information and Knowledge Processing Laboratory (LISTIC) of the University of Savoy.
She was President of the European Association for Terminology (EAFT) between 2000 and 2006. She has been a liaison member of ISO TC 37 “Terminology and other language and content resources” since 2000. She has been the chairwoman of the ISO/TC 37/SC 2 “Terminographical and lexicographical working methods” since 2015. She is currently the convener of the ISO/TC 37/SC1 WG3 for revision of the standards 704 and 1087.
In 2011, she was honoured with the title of Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the Ministry of Culture and Communication of the French Republic.
1. Carvalho, Sara / Costa, Rute / Roche, Christophe (2016) « LESS Can Indeed Be More. Linguistica and Conceptuel Challenges in the Age of Interoperability» Proceedings of the Terminology and Knowledge Engineering Conference 2016 – Term Bases and Linguistic Linked Open Data, Copenhagen |22nd – 24th June 2016 ISBN 978-87-999179-0-7
2. Carvalho, Sara / Costa, Rute / Roche, Christophe (2016) « Ontoterminology meets Lexicography: the Multimodal Online Dictionary of Endometriosis (MODE) », Proceedings of GLOBALEX 2016: Lexicographic Resources for Human Language Technology, workshop at LREC2016 | Portorož, Slovenia | May 24, 2016, pp. 8-15,
3. Almeida, Bruno / Roche, Christophe / Costa, Rute (2016) « Terminology and Ontology development in the domain of Islamic archeology » Proceedings of the Terminology and Knowledge Engineering Conference 2016 – Term Bases and Linguistic Linked Open Data, Copenhagen |22nd – 24th June 2016ISBN 978-87-999179-0-7
4. Ferro, Maria João / Rute Costa (2016). “The economic value of language” [eds. Hélder Fanha Martins & Orlando Gomes]. Advances in Applied Business Research: the L.A.B.S. Initiative, Nova York, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., pp. 187-216, ISBN ISBN: 978-1-63484-957-9.
5. Fernandes, Joana / Costa, Rute / Peres, Paula (2016). « Putting order into our universe: the concept of Blended Learning. A methodology within the concept-based Terminology framework», Special Issue "e-Vocabularies and e-Learning", (Guests Editors, Ana-María Fernández-Pampillón, Antonio Pareja-Lora Guest Editors, Education Sciences – Open Access Journal, Educ. Sci.2016,6(2), 15.
6. Moreira, Manuel / Costa, Rute / Soares, António Lucas (2015). “Ontologies de domaine, une approche du processos de localisation”. Terminologie, Traduction et rédaction technique. Des ponts entre le français et le portuguais (ed. Isabelle Oliveira). Limoges : Editions Lambert-Lucas, pp. 73-90, ISBN 978-2-35935-104-0
7. Santos, Claudia / Costa, Rute (2015). “Domain specificity: semasiological and onomasiological knowledge representation”. Handbook of Terminology (ed. Hendrik Kockaert & Frieda Steurs). Amsterdam / Philadelphia: John Benjamins. ISSN 2352-1821.
8. Albuquerque, Alexandra / Costa, Rute (2015) “Terminology as a Sense Making Social Tools”, in Proceedings of the 2nd European Conference on Social Media, ISCAP – ACPI (UK) (Eds. Anabela Mesquita & Paula Peres). Porto: Academic Conferences and Publishing International Limited, pp. 11-18, ISSN – 2055-7213 / ISBN – 978-1-910810-31—6.
9. Albuquerque, Alexandra / Costa, Rute / Esperança, José Paulo (2015). “Managing the Language Needs of Multinational Companies - Strategies to Optimise International Communication: a Case Study”, in Justenlund, Anders (Ed.), Journal Advances in Higher Education.Volume 7, Number 1, pp. 55-68, ISSN: 2212-5574.
10. Costa Rute (2013). “Terminology and Specialised Lexicography: two complementary domains”. Lexicographica. Volume 29, Issue 1. International Annual of Lexicography / Revue Internationale de Lexicographie / Internationales Jahrbuch für Lexicographie. Ed. by Gouws, Rufus Hjalmar / Heid, Ulrich / Scheirholz, Stefan J. / Schweickard, Wolfgand / Wiegand, Heribert Ernst. Berlin, New York: De Gruyter, pp. 29 – 42, ISSN 0175-6206, e-ISSN 1865-9403. DOI : 10.1515/lexi-2003-0004.